Auto insurance IL minor rear end with someone else’s car – permission granted to drive?

UPDATED: Jun 16, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 16, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Auto insurance IL minor rear end with someone else’s car – permission granted to drive?

My ex-wife was driving a car, that legally my dad is owner and he did not grant her permission to drive. She is not listed as driver. She got into a rear-end accident in IL, don’t know who’s at fault, other party could have reversed into her. I explictly instructed her not to drive car that day, however as i tried to stop her, she refused, and told her to drop me off at train stop. Still told her not to drive. Other party is claiming loss of bumper repair & medical injuries from my ins co. What grounds do I have to decline coverage – no permission? Policy states owner must give permission.

Asked on June 16, 2009 under Accident Law, Illinois


B. B., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

I think your father needs to talk to an attorney about this accident, before anything more is said or done.  I'm not an Illinois lawyer, and I don't have all of the facts, which an attorney in your area would need to give reliable advice.  One place to find a lawyer is our website,

I'm far from certain that denying coverage is the best way to go, here.  And I wouldn't count on having it turn out that the other driver backed into your ex-wife, either, unless you have an impartial witness's statement saying so.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption