auto burglary

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

auto burglary

I was highly intoxicated and officers arrested me for auto burglary. This is my first offense. The doors we’re unlocked and I told them that someone had given them to me and that I had no intention to use them. And I obviously denied that I got into said cars. when arrested the officer did not read me my rights nor tell me that I was being arrested for 2 felony counts of auto burglary.

Asked on March 14, 2017 under Criminal Law, Kansas


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Since you are facing not 1 but 2 felony counts, this is a highly serious matter. You need to consult with a criminal law attorney ASAP, and do not speak with the police until you do. These charges can carry heavy jailtime. As for your not bring read your Miranda rights, they only need to be read to you if you have been arrested and then questioned. merely, being arrested is not enough to trigger the protection. Note: the questioning must be for more than information asked incidental to the booking process such as your name, address, birth date, etc.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption