auto accedent without insurance

UPDATED: May 27, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 27, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

auto accedent without insurance

my wife was at fault in a auto accedent she had no insurance what is she required to do by law

Asked on May 27, 2009 under Accident Law, Alabama


B. B., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

I'm not an Alabama lawyer, but most states require you to report accidents to the police (if they didn't come to the scene), the motor vehicle agency, or both.  If your wife truly was at fault, she is liable to the other people involved for damages to their property and for their personal injuries, if any.  She can be sued for this.

How much your wife will have to pay -- if anything -- will depend on the facts of the case.  She might not be 100% at fault, which could reduce the payments.  And in court, damages have to be proved.

Only a lawyer who has reviewed all the facts can give you reliable advice about this, and he or she can try and negotiate a fair resolution that might avoid going to court.  One place to look for a qualified attorney in your area is our website,

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption