Auction off half the property

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Auction off half the property

My mom and her brother are owners of 2 pieces of land and a house. Her brother is a felon and pulled a gun on my sister and her kids so he is currently in jail and has no money but somehow has a high paying lawyer. My mom thinks he is using his half of the property to pay for it. New Link Destination
day an appraiser showed up to appraise the land saying that her brother is selling his half of the property. My mom is currently living on the property in the house with my sister. Can he legally auction off his

Asked on November 22, 2016 under Real Estate Law, Virginia


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Anyone can sell their personal interest in real estate unless there is specifically a written agreement to the contrary. However, all he can sell is what he has: so if has an "undivided" interest--i.e. he's half owner of everthing, not 100% owner of 1/2--the buyer does not automatically get half the land, etc. Rather, the buyer gets a 1/2 interest in the whole, but could then--if the buyer and your mother cannot agree or work out what to do with the property--bring a legal action for "partition" in which the buyer asks the court to order the sale of the land and distribution of the proceeds, or its physical division if that is practical, because the owners cannot agree as to what to do with the property. That is the remedy the law provides when owners find themselves at loggerheads: requesting a court order determining disposition of the property.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption