What to do if my former employer is giving me the runaround on paying me my final paycheck?

UPDATED: Mar 29, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 29, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if my former employer is giving me the runaround on paying me my final paycheck?

It’s been almost over 2 months since I quit; a month since they owed me my check. It got lost when I moved and in order to re-issue they are asking me to fill out and send a form to my manager. I tried that and he isn’t being helpful or responsive. I went back to HR and they said well try this person higher up. Still no response. Bills are piling up and I’m still unpaid 2 final checks.

Asked on March 29, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, Washington


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

If you did the work, you must be paid--there are no grounds for not paying you. If the employer does not honor its obligation to pay you, you could sue it for the money. You may wish to consider suing in small claims court, where you can act as your own attorney and save legal costs (also, small claims cases generally move faster, so you'd likely get a resolution more quickly).

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption