If I was protecting my wife from an assault, can I in turn be accused of assaulting her assailant?

UPDATED: Aug 20, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 20, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I was protecting my wife from an assault, can I in turn be accused of assaulting her assailant?

My wife was assaulted by a guy. I instinctively tackled him and hit him twice. He sustained some injuries. I had no intent to hurt him; it was instinct in stopping the assault and protecting my wife. There was no premeditation. He was arrested for 2 counts assault 3rd, breach of peace, threatening. He threatened to get his gun and kill me. They are considering arresting me with assault 2nd degree. This was on my property; he was belligerent and out of control. What recourse do I have? How can I persuade them to not arrest me? Should I speak with a criminal law attorney? In Madison, CT.

Asked on August 20, 2011 Connecticut


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You can assert the defense of others if you are charged with assault.  Defense of others in this case means you used reasonable non-deadly force on your wife's assailant to stop the attack and prevent her from being seriously injured.

If you are charged with assault, it would be advisable to speak with a criminal defense attorney.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption