What to do if I have been asked to pay $3,500 by my landlord’s insurer for an accident thatI caused?

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I have been asked to pay $3,500 by my landlord’s insurer for an accident thatI caused?

I was asked to pay $3,500 by my landlord’s insurance because the water damage I caused to the apartment (forgot to turn water off for 20 minutes while my 1 year baby were crying and needed help). I looked at the claims they sent me, many of which I disagree with, including replacing the sink and cabinet in the bathroom, redo the walls, glasses, etc. My security deposit had already been collected by the landlord and I have no assets; I’m still a student with kids. I cannot afford to pay $3,500. Now a law firm representing them is collecting money from me, ask me to pay immediately or they will sue.

Asked on October 14, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Alaska


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

From what you write, you do  not dispute your liability, or fault--or the idea that you are responsible to pay something--but rather dispute the amount of money. You have four options:

1) Pay the amount, including possibly working out a payment plan to pay over time.

2) Try to negotiate some amount you can and are willing to pay: you should, for example, back up negotiations with pictures, quotes for repairs, etc. which show that a) not all the damage was caused by you; b) it's not as bad as the landlord is claiming; and/or c) it can be repaired more cheaply.

3) Don't pay, force the landlord to sue you, and defend yourself in court with the evidence described above. If you can actually show these things, you have a reasonable chance of getting the amount reduced; but without favorable evidence, you will likely lose.

4) Regardless of which route you take, if you end up owing more than you can pay, one option to consider is bankruptcy.

If possible, you should have an attorney represent you. If you can't afford one, try contacting Legal Services. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption