As the executor of my stepmother’s Will, do I have to notify “all” the heirs and beneficiaries of the probate hearing date?

UPDATED: Jul 13, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 13, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

As the executor of my stepmother’s Will, do I have to notify “all” the heirs and beneficiaries of the probate hearing date?

How far down the relatives list, or next of kin list do I have to go since all parents and siblings are deceased. Do I include “all” the nieces and nephews (hundreds?)? The Will clearly states who the beneficiaries are, and they do not include any nieces or nephews.

Asked on July 13, 2013 under Estate Planning, Michigan


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Generally speaking, you must notify those that have legal standing to object to the validity of the Will.  This group would be those that would legally inherit under the intestacy laws of the state in which the decedent resided at the time of her death, even though they may not be inheriting under the Will.  Seek help.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption