Can I be forced to move back to my former state of residence by my children’s father?

UPDATED: Oct 21, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 21, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I be forced to move back to my former state of residence by my children’s father?

As the custodial parent I moved out of state with my sons. I phoned their father months ahead to notify him of the move because the kids were depressed about him not visiting while staying in the same town. Anyway, since the move I would bring the kids every weekend back to the stae where he is living and call him to notify him that the kids are here if he wants to visit but he would never come to see them. Can he make me move back; he’s $6000 behind in child support. I am trying to take care of my kids but returning will only depress the kids again.

Asked on October 21, 2012 under Family Law, Texas


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Under the laws of all states in this country your "ex" cannot force you to move back to the state where you once resided.

As to child support arrearages, you should consult with a family law attorney about filing a petition for an order to show cause for contempt of a court order for payment of what is owed for the children you have written about.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption