Can a 19 year take theirfather to court for back child support if he has never paid?

UPDATED: Sep 9, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 9, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can a 19 year take theirfather to court for back child support if he has never paid?

Mother is deceased.

Asked on September 9, 2011 under Family Law, Nevada


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your loss.  The answer to your question is maybe, but it depends on a lot of little things here.  If there is a child support order in place there is not statute of limitations to enforce it.  Now, the child support order was technically your Mother's right to collect for you.  Did she have an order or judgement against your Father?  What I am getting at is the possibility of her estate to collect for the back support.  It may be an avenue for you to pursue.  Next, if there is no order then you may be able to seek support but only for 4 years back.  Please seek consultation from an attorney in your area on the matter to look at the best possible way for you to do this.  Good luck to you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption