As the administrator of brother’s estate, can I claim mileage for traveling to and fromhis house for upkeep and repairs?

UPDATED: Sep 14, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 14, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

As the administrator of brother’s estate, can I claim mileage for traveling to and fromhis house for upkeep and repairs?

How much per mile?

Asked on September 14, 2011 under Estate Planning, California


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your loss.  As the personal representative of your brother's estate I am sure that you would be entitled to reimbursement of any money that has been expended on behalf of the estate and in performing your duties.  At this point in time you need to keep track of the mileage and I would keep a separate log if I were you of what you do, where you go, how much you travel, the money you lay out, etc., for computation and for the accounting later on.  The amount I am sure will be the same as the amount the law allows under federal guidelines.  Do not take out the money of your own please.  It will not look right. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption