As POA how do I collect monies from a written contract for a loan that was defaulted on?

UPDATED: Feb 16, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 16, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

As POA how do I collect monies from a written contract for a loan that was defaulted on?

My mother was a co-signer on a loan for her ex-husband, and used her retirement funds as collateral. Donald (the ex) defaulted on the loan and the terms of their written contract and my mother lost her retirement monies. The written contract was never notarized, and we are approaching statute of limitations (which I am under the impression is seven years for written contracts). Also, I am in a different state. How do I correct this and get my mother’s monies back?

Asked on February 16, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, Utah


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Please seek legal help as soon as you possibly can here.  The statute of limiations in the state of Utah for a written contract is 6 years.  But because I can not tell when the cuase of action accrued - began to run - I can not tell if the statute has already run here.  It is 6 years from the breach not the contract dte so I am hoping that you calculated incorrectly.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption