What can I do to collect money from my ex-wife for a credit card debt that she was supposed to pay as per our divorce decree?

UPDATED: Jun 20, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 20, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do to collect money from my ex-wife for a credit card debt that she was supposed to pay as per our divorce decree?

As per a separation and divorce agreement, my wife was to pay me $3000 for a credit card she charged $9000 to in our name. She has not paid. What what options do I have to collect the money in terms of garnishment, taking possession of her belongings to sell, or anything legal for that matter.

Asked on June 20, 2011 under Family Law, Florida


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Depending on when it occurred, you can sue her for the monies based on the provisions within the divorce decree. You must sue her to obtain a judgment and then if she still doesn't pay, you must enforce the pay plan in place, or obtain a decree to then garnish her wages, attach to her bank account, place a lien on her properties, and the like. If there is a decree in place for you to pay her any monies, consider going back to divorce court to a) file a contempt motion against her (she is contempt of the order) and b) see if there could be an accounting so that you don't have to pay what would equal $3,000.00 in some other part of the decree (think alimony). This way, the end result may equal the same.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption