As an Independent Contractor, do I need any special health insurance to cover me?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

As an Independent Contractor, do I need any special health insurance to cover me?

I am considering becoming an independent contractor in Michigan, I currently have
health insurance on my own. My understanding is, since I’m the only person no
employees I do not need Workers Comp. So, my question is, what if I get hurt on
a job, do I need special health insurance to cover me? Or does my current
insurance cover me?



Asked on September 1, 2017 under Business Law, Michigan


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

1) Correct; you do not need worker's com only for yourself.
2) You current health insurance will cover your medical costs regardless of whether you hurt on the job or off.
3) You may wish to look into buying disability insurance, to protect you from loss of income if you become disabled and cannot work--that's a good idea for any independent contractor, sole practioner, etc. (I have it.)

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption