As an heir to an estate, how do I find out whose names are listed in the Will and the total amount of the estate?

UPDATED: Jan 24, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 24, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

As an heir to an estate, how do I find out whose names are listed in the Will and the total amount of the estate?

What are the proper procedures to follow after the Notice of the Administration of the Deceased’s Estate?

Asked on January 24, 2011 under Estate Planning, North Carolina


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your loss.  Are you certain that the person who dies left a Last Will and testament?  If they did then the party that is asking that it be admitted to Probate - the Personal Representative or the Executor - will present the Will for filing in the probate Court in the County in which the person was a resident at the time of their death.  Once the Will is filed it becomes public record and you can review it to see who is listed therein.  You can also look to see what the estimated value of the estate is as well.  Good luck to you. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption