As an executor of the estate, can I evict my sibling so that repairs can be made to the home for sale?

UPDATED: Feb 28, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 28, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

As an executor of the estate, can I evict my sibling so that repairs can be made to the home for sale?

She has refused to move for over 6 months now and has caused damage to the home. Probate debts need to be paid but she not only will not leave but has also moved other people into the house who also are refusing to leave.

Asked on February 28, 2014 under Estate Planning, Tennessee


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

If rent is not being paid by the tenant you need to consult with a landlord tenant attorney in your locality to evict the tenant separate and apart from the damages caused. Such attorney can be found on I suggest eveiction proceedings be started immediately.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption