As an employer, can I legally share an employees Payroll, personal, etc. information with his spouse?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

As an employer, can I legally share an employees Payroll, personal, etc. information with his spouse?

I have an employee whose spouse always sends in his time sheets and his reimbursable documents. She wants information about his last Payroll that I processed, saying it’s incorrect. As the employer, can I share my employee’s Payroll and personal information with her instead of talking to my employee directly?

Asked on October 18, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, Colorado


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

No; it is his information and you can only share it with him unless and only if he authorizes you to share it with her, such as a power of attorney or even a less-formal (but still signed by him) letter indicating that you could give her the information. Without written authorization, only give it to him; she can get it from her spouse.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption