As administrator of my mother’s estate, will the court make me use her money and pay on a foreclosed house that she had?

UPDATED: Jun 21, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 21, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

As administrator of my mother’s estate, will the court make me use her money and pay on a foreclosed house that she had?

I am the administrator of my mother’s estate and she had house that is now going in to foreclosure. She had a little bit of money in her bank account. Will the court make me take that money and pay on her house that is being foreclosed?

Asked on June 21, 2011 under Estate Planning, Virginia


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your loss.    The mortgage is a debt of the estate and technically dents of the estate must be paid with estate assets.  But that does not mean that you can negotiate with the bank to try and resolve the matter to their satisfaction before the foreclosure occurs.  What you can do is to try and get the lender to agree to a short sale and to waive the deficiency.  Or to agree to take a deed in lieu of foreclosure and waive the deficiency.  Ir you can look in to filing for bankruptcy for the estate and to  discharge the debt.  But I think that you may need some help from someone in your area.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption