As a seller, what do I need to do to cancel my listing agreement?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

As a seller, what do I need to do to cancel my listing agreement?

I’m not pleased with the way the company is handling my listing and want to

cancel the agreement. The agreement was for a year and they’ve had it for 9


Asked on November 12, 2018 under Real Estate Law, North Carolina


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

It will be hard to cancel unless you can point to specific contractual requirements (e.g. for how they'd market it) that you can show they violated (in which case, with a clear breach of contract, you'd be well-positioned to treat the agreement as terminated). The problem is, in the absence of some breach by the other side, a contract is generally enforceable for its entire duration or length of time. If there's only 3 months left, it's probably better to let it play out than try to cancel early and end up being sued by the realtor.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption