As a pre-teen if my father molested me and I now live with my grandmother, do I have a case against him?

UPDATED: Oct 21, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 21, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

As a pre-teen if my father molested me and I now live with my grandmother, do I have a case against him?

I’m 18 now. I waited to be a legal adult because I was afraid that if I was a minor and lost the case he’d try to make me live with him again. I’m not sure of state laws and I’m not sure if I even selected the correct legal topic but I do know he also molested my sister as a teen and we’d like closure.

Asked on October 21, 2012 under Criminal Law, Florida


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

I suggest that you consult immediately with a personal injury attorney about the molestation matter that you underwent with your father and what civil recourse you may have. Most state's statutes of limitations do not start running against a minor who was injured in a civil matter until the minor becomes an adult. Adult is age 18.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption