As a male parent, what are my legal obligations when it comes to an out of marriage child?

UPDATED: Jun 12, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 12, 2015Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

As a male parent, what are my legal obligations when it comes to an out of marriage child?

The mother has filed a civil suit against me for child support and is also demanding other costs such as compensation for her legal fees for the suit and compensation for all costs prior to birth. Am I legally obligated to pay all these costs? The mother has never directly contacted me for aid of any kind prior to filing this civil suit.

Asked on June 12, 2015 under Family Law, Georgia


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

You do have to pay child support--a child's legal and moral right to support is not affected by the marital status of his/her parents. The mother may be able to collect at least a portion of prenatal medical costs, since those are costs directly attributable to your child. She is unlikely to recover her legal expenses, since the U.S. legal system generally does not make one party pay the legal expenses of the other, however, it is not impossible that the court may require you to pay, especially if it concludes that you unnecessarily (without good defense) ran up those costs for her.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption