As a full-time employee who earns PTO, am I still supposed to have sick pay?

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

As a full-time employee who earns PTO, am I still supposed to have sick pay?

And was it mandatory that everyone who receives sick pay to sign a paper acknowledging this?

Asked on August 20, 2015 under Employment Labor Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

It's not 100% clear what you are asking about do you mean whether you should be paid out for sick leave at the end or termination of employment? If so, there is no requirement that employees be compensated or paid for unused sick days or any kind of PTO when they leave employment. Some employers may choose to pay out unused sick days, but they don't have to.
Or are you asking about whether you have to be given sick days in addition to other PTO? If so, again, the answer is that the employer does not need to give you sick pay or sick leave in addition to PTO--or even at all employers are not required to provide any sick pay or leave.
If the above does not answer your question, you should re-post with additional details.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption