How does an out of state DUI affect your license?

UPDATED: Sep 10, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 10, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How does an out of state DUI affect your license?

My 22 year old son is serving a 3 month civil DUI suspension in VT. He is a resident of CT. Will he be suspended in CT due to reciprocity? What if CT does not have a civil DUI (only criminal)? He hasn’t received anything from the CT DMV and the suspension began 10 days ago.

Asked on September 10, 2011 under Criminal Law, Connecticut


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

The states of Vermont and Connecticut are part of what is known as the Interstate Drivers License Compact which is an agreement between most all the states in the Union to share information about DUI arrests and convictions of drivers outside their own state lines.  Theoretically, Connecticut should get wind of the arrest, conviction and suspension and in fact suspend his license in the state of Connecticut. I highly doubt that Connecticut does NOT suspend a license for a DUI conviction these days.  Every state is pretty strict. 10 days is a relatively short period of time here.  I would not take the chance and have him drive until the suspension is over.  

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption