arrests under false pretense

UPDATED: May 8, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 8, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

arrests under false pretense

What should someone do if they are arrested under false pretense. Implying that the individual was falsly accused of something that did not happen in a malicious attempt by another party to have the individual arrested.

Asked on May 8, 2009 under Criminal Law, Alabama


B. B., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

The first thing you have to do is defend the criminal charges against you.  You should give very serious consideration to hiring a lawyer, and once place you can look for one is here:

Before you can do anything about the false accusation, you have to be acquitted, found not guilty.  After that, if you can prove that the person who accused you knew that the accusation was a lie, you can file a civil suit against them, and the lawyer you hire to defend the criminal case can give you more information about that, as well.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption