IfI was arrested for DUI in one state, can I obtain a license in another state?

UPDATED: Jan 12, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 12, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

IfI was arrested for DUI in one state, can I obtain a license in another state?

Iwas arrested in 10/10 for a DUI and 4 other traffic tickets. I have an attorney in GA handling my case. However, I moved back to my home state CA. I sill currently have a valid DL number in CA, but I lost the actual DL card. My case in GA is still pending and my GA license is still valid because I have not been convicted. Is it legal for me to renew my CA license? I understand that when I go to court in GA, my license may be suspended, but in the meantime I would like to know what my options are.

Asked on January 12, 2011 under Criminal Law, California


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

There is something known as the Interstate Drivers License Compact where almost all the states share information regarding DUI's and Drunk Driving convictions.  Georgia, however, is not one of those states.  In other words, Georgia does not share the information with your home state of California.  So it appears that for you there may be a loophole here and that you may be able to renew your California license at this time.  It even appears that if your license is suspended in Georgia California may not find that information out.  I guess that the only way for you to be sure of all of this is to try and renew your California license and take your chances.  But in the meantime please  try and get some help with your problem here. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption