What actioncan beneficiaries take against an executor who is not fulfilling their duties in a timely manner?

UPDATED: Feb 22, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 22, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What actioncan beneficiaries take against an executor who is not fulfilling their duties in a timely manner?

My father passed away 8 months ago and left 1 of 3 sons as the executor of his Will. My father did specify to his insurance and annuity companies that each of us receive 1/3 of the total amounts. Settlement of the insurance monies have been completed. However, my father left 1 of his sons as the executor of the Will to manage the money in the savings account and checking account, as well as preparing the house (paid for) to be sold. He has prolonged this settlement of the savings accounts and sale of the house for 7 months. What action can the other 2 brothers take?

Asked on February 22, 2012 under Estate Planning, Florida


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your loss.  While it may seem to you that 8 months is a long time, in reality it may not be given the size of your Father's estate.  Tax returns for an estate have to be filed within 9 months of death and the executor has to make sure that all claims and expenses are paid before distribution.  If you feel that some thing is not right then you cn request that an accounting be done sooner rather than later.  But it is not so easy being the executor and you may not want to burn that bridge with your brother quite yet. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption