Who is responsible for damages cause by a burst water pipe in a condo complex?

UPDATED: Aug 29, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 29, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Who is responsible for damages cause by a burst water pipe in a condo complex?

We live in a condo building with many units. A few days ago 1of the unit’s (above us) had burst water pipe which caused massive water damage to our unit (as well hers and a few other units in our building). We put in a claim to our insurance company but they refuse to help with any expenses basing it on the fact that an earthquake had occurred prior to the incident.

Asked on August 29, 2011 Virginia


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If your insurance company has denied the claim for repairing the burst water pipes and the resulting damages, then you should put a claim to the unit that caused the entire problem as well as a claim to the homeowner's association in that potentially one of the will be willing to step up and make the repairs on their own.

In essence, the property owner whose unit caused the water damage could be the one responsible for the repairs to your unit.

If none of the above are willing to make the repairs, you and the other property owners who suffered water damages should agree to join forces and consult with an attorney experienced with insurance law and property damage issues to represent you as a whole. By doing this, the expenses for the attorney would be minimized due to more people being represented for essentially the same issues needing resolution.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption