Are we entitled to monetary compensation?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Are we entitled to monetary compensation?

My son was shot in the eye with a BB gun in someone else’s home but by a third party that did not live there. We have dealt with both parties insurance companies, and the homeowner’s insurance has covered all of the medical bills. We are wondering if there is other compensation, and if so, how much, for the 2 weeks that I had to take off of work during his rehabilitation, for the extensive mileage to and from the specialist and for personal suffering?

Asked on February 26, 2016 under Personal Injury, Minnesota


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

The parent could seek compensation for lost wages for missing work to care for her child, for the cost of transportation to a doctor (e.g. gas, parking, bus, etc.); she cannot recover for "pain and suffering," but if there has been or will be long lasting, significant life impairment  or disability, her child may be entitled to a pain and suffering award. Note that this all presumes that either the person who shot your child was at fault (e.g. it was intentional or unreasonably careless (negligent)) or that the homeowner at whose house the shooting occurred was at fault, such as for leaving a BB gun around young children or not properly supervising children visiting her home; liability is based on fault, and you would seek compensation from the at-fault party(ies) (or in the case of a minor, his or her parents).

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption