If my husband and I file a Chapter 7 jointly, are we allowed a double property exemption?

UPDATED: May 31, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 31, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my husband and I file a Chapter 7 jointly, are we allowed a double property exemption?

Such as $6000 instead of $3000 for cars. In CO.

Asked on May 31, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, Colorado


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

In general, couples filing for bankruptcy jointly are allowed twice as much exempt property value. It makes sense, doesn't it, since it is the property of two individuals instead of one. Some pieces of property, such as a home may have a specific amount as an allowable exemption value regardless of whether it is a couple filing or an individual.  So a set amount would be exempt.  Please also note that Colorado is one of the states that does not allow you to use the federal bankruptcy exemptions so you are limited to the state exemptions. You should discuss the matter in depth with a bankruptcy attorney in your area.  Good luck to you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption