Are there other income tax deductions?

Get Legal Help Today

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by Jeffrey Johnson
Insurance Lawyer Jeffrey Johnson

UPDATED: Jul 16, 2021

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Yes, there are other income tax deductions. Examples include depreciation, net operating loss carryovers, start-up expenses, and many others. However, this discussion is for general information only and should not be treated as a substitute for advise on specific matters. You should consult you tax advisor to see whether the foregoing, or any other deductions, are applicable in any given income tax situation. 

Home Business Income Tax Deductions

If you are running a business out of your home, you can deduct the amount of rent or mortgage paid for that particular room of your house. Additionally, you can deduct any mileage from your car if your car is a business car. While these deductions are available, they require a higher level of record keeping and typically open taxpayers up to a greater risk of audit. So, if you do wish to seek these deductions, be meticulous with your records such as keeping a mileage log on your car and a time log on your home office and consult with a tax specialist when filing your taxes. 

Income Tax Deductions for Loss Carryovers

If you are a business owner that had an especially bad previous year, you can carry over the remaining loss into the next tax year. This is only applicable to business, not personal losses, and must be well documented. Just as with the home business deductions above, this could result is an increased risk of auditing, so always consult with a tax specialist. 

Income Tax Deductions for Startup Expenses

If you are attempting to get a business off the ground, and the startup is especially rough, you can deduct these expenses from your income. The reason for this deduction is that the government understands that most startup costs for businesses come directly out of the pocket of the business owner. In order to avoid income tax audit possibilities with these expenses, keep accurate and complete records of all startup costs including trademark filings, patent filings, market research expenses, and any other costs to start your business. 

Qualified Business Income Deduction for Pass-through Income

Starting 2018 through 2025, individuals can deduct on their personal income tax return up to 20% of their qualified business income earned from each pass-through business (i.e, a partnership, S corporation, or sole proprietorship) they own.

The deduction is limited to 20% of business income (defined as the net amount of income, gain, deduction and loss from the business) or 50% of W-2 wages paid by the businesses.

To get the deduction, taxable income must be below $157,500 for single or $315,000 for joint filers (the numbers are adjusted for inflation). If you exceed these thresholds, the deduction gets more complicated, depending on income level and the type of work done.

The deduction reduces taxable federal income and can be taken whether the individual itemizes deductions or takes the standard deduction. 

Not every pass-through entity qualifies. Specified service trades and businesses, such as medicine, law, accounting, actuarial science, athletes, financial services, performing arts, financial services, brokerage services, etc. cannot take the deduction. 

To calculate the deduction, use the Qualified Business Income Deduction–Simplified Worksheet included in the 1040 instruction book. 


Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption