Are there any programs that would help a young troubled adult instead of jail time?

UPDATED: Sep 12, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 12, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Are there any programs that would help a young troubled adult instead of jail time?

I have 17 year old nephew who has recently gotten an aggravated battery charge and a simple burglary charge. He has had a very troubled childhood with a drug head dad and a mom that is on drugs and a thief. He was abused as a child and has seen way more than he should have at a very young age. I took care of him for about a year, and he needs help, not necessarily prison. I was wondering if there were any programs that might get him the help that he needs?

Asked on September 12, 2011 under Criminal Law, Louisiana


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Your nephew is lucky to have you on his side given his upbringing.  But I think that you may need to take the extra step here to really help him.  By that I mean that you should petition the courts for guardianship - he is still a minor which is a plus in all respects given his present criminal circumstances - and then you can explore the programs available for him with his defense attorney.  You have not indicated if in fact he has a underlying drug or alcohol problem himself.  If he does getting him in to a program before his next court appearance - i.e., voluntarily - will help him with the Judge.  I would contact the department of social services here as well and maybe he can be taken from his home and placed with you as well which would be a plus for him.  They would also be able to tell you about any programs that fit his needs. Good luck to you. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption