Are parents legally entitled to a visit with their juvenile within 24 hours of their arrest?

UPDATED: Apr 27, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Apr 27, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Are parents legally entitled to a visit with their juvenile within 24 hours of their arrest?

Once a juvenile is arrested and placed in custody. Does the parent have a right to visit with their child within 24 hours of his/her arrest or do they have to wait for the regular visiting schedule?

Asked on April 27, 2009 under Criminal Law, California


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

Not sure entirely. It may depend on the type of crime (i.e., if the juvenile is being transferred or if being charged as an adult). But generally after arrest, parents will be scheduled to meet with a juvenile probation officer.


 This link will answer a lot of your questions:


In terms of needing a lawyer, try and check his or his disciplinary record at under attorney search.  You need to look for a criminal defense attorney with experience in juvenile criminal law.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption