Are municipal ordinance violations considered crimes for purposes of a job application?

UPDATED: May 28, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Are municipal ordinance violations considered crimes for purposes of a job application?

Got an ordinance for possession of alcohol as a minor a year ago. I am supposed to work with the EPA and they need a background check. Will this show up and do I have to say I’ve been convicted of a crime?

Asked on May 28, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, New Jersey


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

The best way to answer your question is to carefully read the call of it to determine whether or not a municipal ordinance is deemed a crime concerning your job application questionaire.

You need to realize that under the laws of all states in this country, the criminal records of a person that result when he or she is a minor are sealed and cannot be opened absent a court order and after notice to all interested parties concerning it.

Most likely your conviction as a minor for possession of alcohol will not appear in a background check with respect to yourself. As to whether or not you have to state that you were convicted of the crime you have written about is your call.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption