Are is Alowed foreigh people to buy property in usa

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Are is Alowed foreigh people to buy property in usa

I am from Macedonia and I am interested for buying some property in the U.S. I never been there and I don’t have US visa, etc. I do not have a criminal file. I have few apartmans and houses here in Macedonia I rent the apartments here, I work here I have restaurant and I like to buy somethink in the other country. Is alowed foreight people Macedonians to buy apartmens in the US?

Asked on March 10, 2016 under Real Estate Law, Alaska


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Yes, someone from a foreign country can purchase real estate in the U.S. That having been said, there are numerous of legal matters to be dealt with. For one thing, you would need an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (TIN) which you would use for the tax ramifications of your transactions. There are other factors to be taken into consideration as well. Frankly, if you are considering buying a U.S. property, you should hire a real estate attorney to assist you through the process. They can review the sales contract, check on the title and related documents, as well as look over any financing documents that you may need. Additionally, they can help with tax questions or at least recommend an accountant who can. You can find one on-line. Look for a lawyer who work in the state in which you want to purchase a property. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption