Are court costs included in the money paid for filing a counter-contempt claim with an ex-spouse?

UPDATED: May 19, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 19, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Are court costs included in the money paid for filing a counter-contempt claim with an ex-spouse?

My ex wife filed contempt charges against me for falling 3 weeks behind in child support and for a tiller that she was awarded in the divorce but knew prior to signing decree was missing from property. I filed answer/counter claim for not obeying visitation as in decree. We were both found not in contempt. Does the money I paid when filing the counter claim include court costs?

Asked on May 19, 2012 under Family Law, Iowa


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

If your question is whether or not the money you paid for filing the counter claim are to be included as a credit for child support payments concerning the contempt claim that you were involved in, the answer is no. Child support and court costs for a contempt matter are two separate things.

However, if you prevailed on your former wife's contempt filing against you, you should be entitled as a matter of law to your filing fees for having to respond to the charge against her as the prevailing party to be paid by her to you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption