Are cops allowed to follow you after you committed a crime?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Are cops allowed to follow you after you committed a crime?

What I mean is I got a yellow light ticket and instead of the cop turning his
lights on after the incident he followed me back to my schools parking lot, about
2-3 blocks before turning his lights on. Is this legal? I thought cops couldn’t
follow you home.

Asked on November 7, 2017 under Criminal Law, Wisconsin


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Where did you get the idea that the police may not follow you after you commit a crime, even as minor a crime as going through a traffic light? The police may follow anyone they like, including someone who just committed an offense, and there is no obligation or legal requirement that they stop, ticket, or arrest him/her on the spot. They may not be able to enter a residence without a warrant, but as long as you in a public place, you may be followed.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption