Are children who are your legal custody considered house guests under a lease agreement?

UPDATED: Aug 7, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 7, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Are children who are your legal custody considered house guests under a lease agreement?

In my lease agreement which I rent a room from the owner of the house includes use of all common areas, exclusive right to the second living area, bathroom and third bedroom. Under the section titled “Rules” states the following: “Maximum of 2 houseguests allowed at a time and 0 when Colby is present, without permission”.Are my children which I have legal custody considered houseguests?

Asked on August 7, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Texas


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Children that one has legal responsibility for are not deemed house guests under the law. Rather thay are deemed members of the tenants' family and are allowed to stay much like one's own minor children. Your children are allowed to stay in the unit you occupy from what you have written.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption