What are are my rightsnow thatmy aunt has passed away if I’m her next of kin?

UPDATED: Jan 22, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 22, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are are my rightsnow thatmy aunt has passed away if I’m her next of kin?

She never married or had children bur was in a lesbian relationship for 26 years. She had a Will and I know I’m in it. It’s been a month since she passed and her partner has not come forth with it.

Asked on January 22, 2012 under Estate Planning, Louisiana


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your loss.   Although I am sure that you are anxious about this matter you have to understand that her partner is grieving at this point in time and a month is not really that long a period of time with in which to begin a probate proceeding.  If you are indeed named in a Will then you will be notified of the attempt to admit the Will in to probate.   If you feel that there is something shady going on then hire an attorney to write a letter regarding the matter.  Good luck.  

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption