Are 2 quitclaim deeds necessary when a sibling does not want part of the inherited house?

UPDATED: Mar 7, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 7, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Are 2 quitclaim deeds necessary when a sibling does not want part of the inherited house?

As administrator of my father’s estate I need to transfer his home to my name. My brother and I are heirs but my brother will be compensated by other assets and does not want on the deed. Do we need to do 2 quitclaim deeds first transferring from my father to both of us and the second from my brother to me or can something be notarized saying my brother does not want the house?

Asked on March 7, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Pennsylvania


Hong Shen / Roberts Law Group

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You do not need 2 quitclaim deeds. What you need is a written disclaimer from your brother to disclaim the property. You can transfer the property directly to you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption