Any legal standing to have webcam videos taken down?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Any legal standing to have webcam videos taken down?

Over 6 years ago, I nievely did webcam modeling, there are a few videos up on a site that works with the site I was on. I’m going to ask nicely first, there not making anything off them anyway, however I was wondering if I have any legal standing to force them to take them down? I’m sure I agreed to whatever industry-standard legal documents at the time but I’m hoping I can just be forgotten.

Asked on June 26, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, Tennessee


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

If you gave permission at the time for them to take the videos and have the rights to them, you cannot now, unfortunately, take that permission or those rights back--if rights were given without no limitations (e.g on who could show the videos; on how long they could use them; etc.) those rights cannot be unilaterally (by you) taken back; the other person(s) would have to agree to limit or give back their rights to the videos.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption