Answered incorrectly on application

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Answered incorrectly on application

When I applied for my job on a very lengthy application, I stated that I have my associates degree. I graduated college in the 70’s; I went through a court reporting program for the full 2 years and a summer but did not take state exam to be certified because I went in a different direction . Anyway , I assumed that I had my degree. Now, 40 years later, a firm asked for a transcript for the first time ever. I pull my transcript and found that I attempted 66 hours but only completed 56 hours of the 61 needed. It was never important to get my transcript 40 years into the work force and honestly I thought that I completed program. Can they terminate me? The degree is not a requirement.

Asked on July 31, 2018 under Employment Labor Law, Illinois


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

The fact is that if you do not have an employment contract or union agreement, you are an "at will" worker. This means that you can be terminated for any reason or no reason at all, with or without notice. The fact si that a company can set the conditions of the owrklace much as it sees fit (absent some form of legally actionable discrimination). 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption