An Uninsured Driver who was driving under the influence hit my car

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

An Uninsured Driver who was driving under the influence hit my car

I got involved into an accident last month. A lady who was under the influence hit and totaled my car. New Link Destination
make things worse, this lady does not have auto insurance. Now my car is totaled and I did not get anything to fix my car or to have money to go to the doctor to get checked. I only had liability insurance and am wondering if I can sue my own insurance for this accident?

Asked on July 25, 2017 under Accident Law, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

The only way to get money from a driver who was at fault in hitting your car (and who does not have insurance which may honor your claim) is to sue her: you file a lawsuit against the driver, and if you can prove in court that she was at fault (which should be relatively straightforward if she was under the influence; you can potentially use the results of the State of FL case, if she is found or pleads guilty, to help prove this), you can get a court judgment (basically a court order) requiring her to pay.
The problem is likely to be less whether you can win the case as whether you can collect: if she did not have insurance, that may be because she could not afford insurance, or it may be because she does not have enough (e.g. enough income, property, or other assets) as to make it worthwhile to buy insurance (i.e. she could be "judgment proof" if she has so little money that no one can collect from her). If she is impoverished or insolvent, then even if you win the lawsuit, you may not be able to collect: a court judgment in your favor does not make money appear where there is none.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption