An Independent Contractor we are using is stealing business from us

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

An Independent Contractor we are using is stealing business from us

This individual is passing our business off as their own. They are
using a separate website, social media, and payment platform to
promote our events under their name.

We need some advice on what we should do.

Asked on October 26, 2018 under Business Law, Texas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

1) Report them to the police to identity theft and fraud--depending on the exact definitions of those crimes in your state, they may or may not fit under them, but it's well worth stopping by the police station to look into filing a report and pressing charges
2) Sue them. You can file a lawsuit against them for tortious (wrongful) interference with economic advantage and unfair competition (suggesting or stating a link or relationship which does not exist) under the Lanham Act (a federal law) and seek both monetary compenation and a court order that he cease doing this. Consult with an attorney about bringing the legal action.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption