An HOA board member deeded their property to others. Must they resign?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

An HOA board member deeded their property to others. Must they resign?

I live in a condo association. Several months ago, a member
of the board of directors deeded their condo to adult
children living elsewhere. The deed grants the property for
1.00, while reserving for myself a life estate. I
appreciate the probate/shielding assets/convenience aspects
of deeding the property this way, but the individual
continues to serve on the board of directors.
Our condominium association bylaws, registered with our
state, reflect …if any member ceases to be a Unit Owner
his membership on the Board of Directors shall thereupon
Must not the individual who deeded the condo resign from the

Asked on July 24, 2017 under Real Estate Law, New Hampshire


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

If I understand your question, this board member gave his children a remainder interest (they will get the property on his death) while keeping a life estate in it for himself. If so, since the life tenant (the person with the life estate) is generally considered an "owner" of the property at law, under the provision you quote, he would not have to resign. A life estate is ownership of the real estate during the life tenant's life.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption