What should I do if my ex-boyfriend owes me over $600 and is saying that he won’t pay me back?

UPDATED: Jul 12, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 12, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What should I do if my ex-boyfriend owes me over $600 and is saying that he won’t pay me back?

I paid for his restitution and cell phone, but have no legal records of this transaction, besides maybe seeing when I withdrew the money from my bank account. This boy also gave me his grandmother’s ring and he wants that back. I am afraid that if I give it back I will never hear from him again, so I am holding it as collateral. I am struggling financial and really want my money back ASAP.

Asked on July 12, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, Maryland


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

A gift, once given, cannot be recovered by the gift giver, unlike a loan, which must be repaid according to its terms, or a contractual arrangement, where if party A honors his or her obligations, party B must pay the agreed-upon amount. So if the ring was a gift, you do not have to get it back; that's the good news. The bad news is that if the money you paid for him was a gift--that is, at the time it was paid, there was no agreement to repay it--then you can't get that money back, either. If the money you paid was a loan, you can seek its return, though you'd have to be able to prove the existence and the terms of the loan agreement, which may not be easy if there are no records and your ex-boyfriend should dispute your version of events.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption