An agreement was made with CSS, can they refuse to honor it?

UPDATED: Dec 14, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 14, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

An agreement was made with CSS, can they refuse to honor it?

My styafe deposit box in a bank has been levied by an out-of-state child support agency for a past due balance. An agreement has since been made that if I were to make a lump sum payment for part of the balance owed they will then remove the levy. Can they take payment and then refuse to fulfill their end of the bargain?

Asked on December 14, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, Arizona


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you have a written agreement with an out of state child support agency and it is signed by your and one of its representatives, it is a legal and binding agreement that if it is not honored, you can bring a legal action upon it.

Before you sign any written agreement with this out of state child support collection agency, I recommend that you consult with an attorney that practices in the area of family law, specifically in the area of child support collections. I also suggest that the written agreement that you have written about be subject to court approval and order as a safeguard for you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption