American Kennel Club refuses to accept my divorce degree

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

American Kennel Club refuses to accept my divorce degree

I am divorced as of two years. Our decree states we keep all property in our
possession at the time. I had my dog and got to keep it. The American kennel club
refused to let me put my dog in solely my name, I processed it in both of our
names and they refuse to accept my divorce decree as proof she is solely mine
because she is not stated, can they legally do that? What can I do to get my ex
husband’s name off of my dog?

Asked on November 27, 2016 under Business Law, Texas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Legally, if under the divorce the dog became solely yours, then she is yours and the AKC *should* accept that. But if they won't, the only way to force them to do so would be to sue them in county court (not small claims; "regular" court) and get a court order (a "declaratory jugment") that the dog is yours and they should register her that way. Only a court order can force people to do things they are unwilling to voluntarily do.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption