am i resposible

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

am i resposible

I sold my car to my mother-in-law and she never got it registered apparently she was in a accident her fault. I recieved a letter from the dot stating that if I didn’t have proof of insurance on the car I am goinng to lose my license. I live in Iowa. I sold car 10/29; she got in an accident 11/27.

Asked on December 8, 2017 under Accident Law, Iowa


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Since you are still the registered owner of the vehicle, you are liable for the accident in which your mother-in-law was at fault even if you were not present at the scene of the accident.
Your liability includes property damage (cost of repairs) to the vehicle not at fault in the accident.  You are also liable for the personal injury claims of occupants of the vehicle not at fault in the accident. The personal injury claim(s) will include the medical bills, pain and suffering, which is an amount in addition to the medical bills, and wage loss.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption