Am I responsible for payment of my spouse’s medical bills?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Am I responsible for payment of my spouse’s medical bills?

My spouse has incurred medical bills during our marriage. He also purchased a car 9 months ago Due to illness, he was not able to continue making his car payments. He has called the lienholder and had them come get the car. So, he may owe money on that as well. I never signed anything for either item; I’ve never even driven his car. Can I be held legally responsible for any of this? If so, will getting an annulment absolve me of responsibility?

Asked on September 13, 2016 under Family Law, Florida


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

In some states, a spouse is liable for the other spouse's medical bills and other necessary expenses. However, that is not the law in FL. Therefore, unless you agreed in writing to be liable for them, you are not responsible for payment of your deceased spouse's bills, medical or other debts. That having been said, his estate would be liable for repayment. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption