Am I responsible for a speeding ticket if I wasn’t using my car at the time that the ticket stated?

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Am I responsible for a speeding ticket if I wasn’t using my car at the time that the ticket stated?

I recieved a speeding ticket in the mail by a camera for going 72 in a 60 mph zone. I have a lot of relatives and friends who use my car. I also live in Michigan and the photo ticket was taken in OH. However, I can’t remember the last time I was in OH. also, it was at 3 o’clock on at Wednesday and I work 9-5.

Asked on September 3, 2019 under General Practice, Ohio


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Speeding is personal to the driver, so you are not responsible if someone else was driving. But to convince the court of that, you'll have to tell them who was in fact driving at the time. If you can't show them that someone else was driving, then since it's your car, the ticket will stay with you: cars  have to be driven by someone, after all, so it was not being driven by an identifiable other person, the presumption is the owner was driving it. You can't simply claim you were not driving without explaining who was.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption